A tiny slice of my life

This is a look at my life, and the many things I try to learn and do.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Chicken and Sweet Corn Soup

While I am writing this the bitterly cold gale force wind is bending tree branches and making my windows rattle. While listening to this my mind goes to warming foods.

Now one of my all time favourites for warming you up from the inside is soup. The only thing Mr CLI makes is a beautiful vegetable soup. I am his sous chef preparing the vegetables, after many years of cleaning up vegetable peels from all over the kitchen I volunteered to get the vegies ready.

One of my other favourites is chicken and sweet corn soup, this may not be authentic but it is the way I have made it for years. From when you put the chicken breasts on to steam to when you eat it can be achieved in half an hour.

Chicken and Sweet Corn Soup
2 chicken breasts, 1 can 440gm creamed corn, enough chicken stock to make 1 1/2 litres when added to water used for steaming chicken breasts, 2 tbsps soy sauce, 2 eggs beaten, for garnish finely sliced spring onions and sesame oil

Place the chicken breasts in a steamer, steam until cooked approximately 15 minutes. Retain water in base of steamer to use in the soup. When cool enough to handle shred the chicken. In a large saucepan mix together chicken, stock, corn and soy, bring to the boil. When it comes to the boil, stir the soup, while stirring slowly pour in the eggs, this will create strands of cooked egg. As soon as you add the eggs they will cook, so remove the soup from the heat. Taste it you may need more soy. Serve in bowl with about 1 teaspoon of sesame oil sprinkled over the top, also sprinkle some spring onions on as well.

So when the weather makes you feel cold think SOUP, a quick and easy meal that can be made very easily.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely looking soup. Great preparation. http://www.apexmatch.com/maize.php

    ReplyDelete