A tiny slice of my life

This is a look at my life, and the many things I try to learn and do.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Interesting Sandwich Fillings

Now I am not a fan of sandwiches, having spent my entire school life eating sandwiches, that during summer where dry and curled up at the edges.

On one fateful day, I was probably in grade 3 or 4, I dumped this dried and curled up bread in the bin at school and only ate the filling. My Mum had actually told me to do this as I had told her about the dry bread the day before. Well to my horror I was pulled up in front of the class by the teacher and was informed that my Mother would be told of my wasteful behaviour.

Now this was back in the 1970's when anything went as far as behaviour of teachers. Now I was a very quiet child and being pulled up front the class had mortified me, I actually thought I was going to vomit, but I did have the thought in the back of my head that I was only doing what my Mum had told me.

Well after school I was marched out by the Teacher for her to confront my Mum with my wanton behaviour, was the Teacher shocked when my Mum told her that I was only doing what she had told me, and what business did the Teacher have telling on me. Also my Mum queried what the Teacher was doing going through bins anyway looking for discarded food.

Now you must understand back then no one stood up to Teachers, my Mum by this stage of my schooling had, had enough of the Teachers behaviour at my school, as what not in the mood for her nonsense. I silently cheered for her while she was telling the Teacher to mind her own business.

So my schooling continued with the never ending parade of sandwiches. My Mum went through a stage during High School were she made a whole lot of ham and cheese sandwiches and froze them. Then each morning one was pulled from the freezer and sent with me to school, until I had the gumption to tell her they were revolting and I had only been eating the ham for months they continued to appear in my school bag.

So you can see why I don't particularly like sandwiches, but there are a few fillings that I will make and use.

Salmon Pinwheels
Now this is a filling that is best tasted as you mix it together.

Drain a small can of salmon, make sure there isn't any bones or skin. Place into a bowl flake with a fork add 1 tsp mayonnaise, 2 tsps finely chopped parsley - you can use 1 tsp chives - now mix together. Now slowly add some lemon juice, taste after every few drops.

Now you can make these pinwheels using either bread with the crusts removed and flattened with a rolling pin or mountain bread. If using mountain bread cut into 3 across the narrowest part.

Now spread the filling across the lower third and roll up into a sausage. If using bread you can cut them into 3, if using mountain bread you can cut into 6 - 8 pieces.

Kylie Kwong's Poached Chicken and Iceberg Lettuce Finger Sandwiches
Now I have been making these sandwiches for years, since seeing Kylie make them on the TV. I have altered the recipe a little. Now you don't need to make your own mayo if you don't wish, but use a good one that isn't sweet and add some lemon juice and grated garlic to taste.

Mayo
2 egg yolks, pinch salt, 1/2 tsp sugar, 1 tsp dijon mustard, 1/2 cup olive oil, 2 cloves garlic grated, juice 1/2 lemon, pinch ground szchewan pepper or white pepper

Whisk together yolks, salt, sugar & mustard. While whisking, gradually add oil, keep whisking until the mayo is thick. Add garlic, pepper and lemon juice. Taste you need more pepper or lemon juice.

Poached chicken
1 litre water, 1 spring onions, 2 flattened garlic cloves, 3 slices ginger, 8 whole peppercorns, 1/4 bunch parsley stems and all, 1 chicken breast skin removed

For the sandwiches finely sliced iceberg lettuce and bread of your choice

Add all the ingredients, except the chicken, to a saucepan. Bring to the boil, simmer covered for 10 minutes. Add the chicken breast, reduce heat to a gentle simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, leaving the lid on, leave for 1 hour to poach the chicken.

When the chicken is poached remove and shred. Add enough mayonnaise to make the chicken moist but not sloppy.

Lay some of the chicken mixture onto a slice of bread, top with some lettuce. Now if you are going to slice off the crusts don't put the mixture to the edge of the bread, if you aren't worried about crusts push the mixture to the edge of the bread. Top with another slice of bread. Slice into fingers.

Now both these sandwiches can be made ahead of time and cover and placed into the fridge, but they are best eaten straight away.

You can add finely sliced celery, chopped walnuts and finely chopped apple to the chicken filling to make a waldof salad filling.

Now I hope this has inspired you to make different sandwich filings, because if you are like me and don't like sandwiches these fillings might change your mind.

2 comments:

  1. LOL your mum's reaction to the teacher is hilarious! I can imagine the shocked look on the teacher's face :P And I had the same except mine were soggy from having frozen poppers against the sandwich-yeeeuch!

    These pinwheel sandwiches however are in an entirely different league! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I was secretly smiling at the teachers face

    ReplyDelete