A tiny slice of my life

This is a look at my life, and the many things I try to learn and do.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Lime Yoghurt Drizzle Cake

This morning while sitting at the kitchen table having my morning coffee, while Miss Fish ate her breakfast, I was looking at a bowl full of limes from my Dad's tree thinking I really need to use them, they are too good to waste. Then it came to me why not make my yoghurt cake that is flavoured with lemon or lime.

So up I jumped and started. Miss fish wandered in wanting me to knot her scarf, but she soon had it off the help stir the mixture, then lick the bowl before heading off to work.

Now this recipe was originally an Ina Garten one, but I have tinkered a little with it, to suit my tastes.

You can make it either in lemon or lime, you could even probably make it with oranges.

It couldn't be simpler you mix together the wet ingredients in a bowl add the dry ingredients, then the oil. Then pour it into a loaf tin and bake.

Now as you can see from the photo below, I bake it in a silicone loaf tin, if you have one this is excellent because you can leave it in the tin after you pour over the syrup, I even pull the sides of the tin away from the cake to allow the syrup to run down the sides. If you cook it in a metal paper lined loaf tine you will find that it can adhere to the sides after the syrup has been added.

Once it has cooled I remove it from the tin and make a drizzly consistency lime icing to drizzle over the cake. Now this cake will keep moist for a week, that's if it lasts that long.

Lime Yoghurt Drizzle Cake

1 1/2 cups plain flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 cup greek yogurt,1 cup caster sugar,

3 eggs, 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (2 lemons), 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1/2 cup vegetable oil

Glaze 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice & 1/3 cup caster sugar

Glaze

Cook the lime juice and sugar in a small pan until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Set aside.

For the Icing: 1 cup icing sugar, 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice

When the cake is cold. Combine the icing sugar and lime juice and drizzle over the cake.

Preheat the oven to fan force 180.c . Grease an 8 1/2 by 4 1/4 by 2 1/2-inch loaf pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper. Grease and flour the pan. Or use a silicone pan.

In a bowl, whisk together the yoghurt, sugar, the eggs, lime zest, and vanilla.

Wet ingredients awaiting a good whisk





After a good whisk






Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. With a rubber spatula, fold the vegetable oil into the batter, making sure it's all incorporated.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a cake tester placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean.






When the cake is done. Carefully place on a baking rack . Using a wooden satay skewer or fine metal skewer, poke the cake all over,then pour the glaze over the cake and allow it to soak in. Cool.




Cake in all its glossy glory


When cold remove from tin and drizzle with the icing.


1 comment: