A tiny slice of my life

This is a look at my life, and the many things I try to learn and do.

Friday, August 12, 2011

Chicken Parmigiana

Now the other morning Mr CLI, Miss Fish and I were having a discussion about what was for tea that night, I announced I was going to use chicken fillets. Miss Fish came up with her all time favourite - at the moment - chicken roll ups, Mr CLI asked why can't I make homemade chicken parmigiana, as we haven't had it for a while. OK I said, "done".

Miss Fish looked as if she was going to complain, but I reminded her that she loves a parmigiana - any time she eats out that is her first choice - she looked at me with her big green eyes thought about it for a second OK she said so it was settled.

Now this is how I make chicken parmigiana, I make the sauce sometime during the day then after it has been blitzed I leave it in a microwave jug to heat when the schnitzels are ready. I even if I can be bothered crumb the chicken and leave in the fridge then it is only a matter of cooking them and putting the dish together at tea time.

You can serve them with what ever you like but I always pop some potato, carrot and pumpkin in the oven to roast, it makes it easier that I only have to worry about cooking the chicken right at tea time.

Chicken Parmigiana
Tomato sauce
1 380 - 400gm can whole tomatoes, 2 cloves garlic - peeled, 3 thick slices onion about 1 cm wide, 2 tsp dried herbs, oregano, marjoram or basil, or 2 tbsps fresh herbs

Preheat the oven 220c. Line a small tray with sides with baking/parchment paper. In the centre place the onion & garlic. Pour over the tomatoes ensuring that the onion and garlic are covered. Place in the oven cook 15 minutes, check to see if most of the liquid has evaporated and the onion & garlic are soft. If not leave in oven a bit longer. I have found depending on the brand of tomatoes it can take anywhere from 15 - 30 minutes.

Once cooked remove from oven, while still hot carefully lift up paper and tip into a microwave bowl or jug. Add herbs blitz with a stick blender leave until needed.

Schnitzels
2 chicken breasts this is enough for 3 people, 1/2 grated parmesan & 1/2 cup grated tasty or mozzarella cheese mixed together

Crumbs - 2 cups dried bread crumbs, 2 tbsps grated Parmesan, 2 tbsps finely chopped parsley

you will also needed 2 eggs, 1 cup plain flour

Beat the eggs with a fork in a dish wide enough to dip you chicken in, place the flour on a plate. Mix together the crumb ingredients and place on another plate. Line a plate with baking/parchment paper to put the crumbed schnitzels on.

Slice the chicken breast across the length of the fillet to make 4 pieces, then using a meat mallet flatten till about 1/2 cm thick.

Dust each slice in flour, dip in egg then cover with the breadcrumbs, making sure that you press them into the crumbs to get a thick coating. Put onto plate then into the fridge to set them. You don't need to do this I have cooked them straight after I have crumbed them, but you needed more oil to ensure that the crumbs don't fall off.

To cook - In a wide frypan heat equal amounts of olive oil and butter, I used 4 tbsps of each, when the butter starts to bubble place the schnitzels in. Leave until they are browned on the bottom 4 - 5 minutes. Turnover, when I do this I always turn the heat do so a/ the crumbs don't burn & b/ the chicken can cook through. Cook for another 3 - 4 minutes.

While the second side is cooking heat the sauce in the microwave 2 minutes should be enough. Also line a plate with paper towel.

Once the schnitzels are cooked and the sauce has heated, working quickly to keep everything warm. Transfer the schnitzels to the paper towel, once drained place then on the serving plates top with cheese, then pour over some tomato sauce, the heat from the sauce will melt the cheese.

Now before I do this once I have turned the schnitzels over I dish up the roast vegies so everything is ready to eat while it is hot.

You should find that the chicken is moist and tender. It really is an easy meal that can be broken into 3 steps the sauce. the crumbing then the cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment