A tiny slice of my life

This is a look at my life, and the many things I try to learn and do.

Monday, May 30, 2011

Apple Clafouti - Clafouti aux Pommes

Here is the book ready to go.

Well I have cooked my first recipe from Julia Child's book - Mastering the Art of French Cooking. An apple clafouti.

It turned out to be a very easy recipe, to think that if I had read the book when I got it I could have tasted this recipe ages ago. Never mind I am using it now.

It was not only easy to make but also very yummy to eat, I did alter the recipe, by not heating half the batter in the dish until it started to set, then adding the apples, then the rest of the batter. I poured it straight over the apples, and it worked out perfectly fine.

While Mr CLI was eating the clafouti, he was telling me I can make it again when ever I want !

Clafouti aux Pommes
Apples
4 large apples - enough when peeled, cored and cut into 1/2 cm slices to equal 3 cups, 3 - 4 tbsps butter, 1/4 brandy, dark rum or cognac, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/3 cup sugar

Melt butter frypan, add apples cook over medium heat until nearly cooked through. Add alcohol, when it has stopped sizzling, add cinnamon and sugar stir remove from heat. Leave for 1/2 hour. Using a slotted spoon place apples into a buttered 20cm pie dish. Drain and measure sugar syrup left in frypan, add enough milk to make up the 1 1/4 cups required.









Batter
1 1/4 cups milk, 1/3 cup caster sugar, 3 eggs, 1 tsp vanilla essence, 1/2 cup SR flour

Place all the ingredients in order given in a blender, blend for 1 minute (it really needs to be in a blender I did it in my mixer and because the flour to liquid ratio is low the flour lumped and I had to push the batter through a sieve to remove the flour lumps)

Pour over the apples, bake 45 minutes, or until cooked when a knife is inserted in the centre. When checking it looks like a baked custard.

Remove from oven leave 5 minutes. Serve dusted with icing sugar and whipped cream or ice cream, or both if you want.


No comments:

Post a Comment