A tiny slice of my life

This is a look at my life, and the many things I try to learn and do.

Friday, May 27, 2011

Julie and Julia

The other night I couldn't sleep, so I was channel flicking on Austar, and I came upon the Movie Julie and Julia. Even though the movie had started, I watched as I had never seen it before.

Now last year I bought myself her cookbook Mastering the Art of French Cooking. Now I hadn't made aything from it, because I glanced at the recipes and didn't really read them. I just looked at the ingredients and thought there is too much fiddling and too much fat in her recipes, but after seeing the movie I wondered if I really should have a better look at the book.

I also decided to look on the internet to see if there was any video clips from Julia's TV Show, and there are some. Now after reading on Not Quite Nigella's site about her mishap while cooking and writing about my own, I was very surprised to watch Julia's clip on making La Tarte Tatin, when it all went pear shaped or should I say apple shaped when she unmoulded her La Tarte Tatin.


So after watching several of her videos on the the internet, I sat down and really read her book, and too my surprise she really isn't pedantic with her cooking and her recipes are much more forgiving regarding the addition of butter and cream.

So with this insight, I am now on a mission to make some of her recipes, which I will report back to you about. As Miss Fish came home last night with several kilos of apples I am going to look and see what can be made with them.

So the moral to this story is when buying cookbooks really read them to see if the recipes are as complicated as you first think, and if they are not try making them. You never now you might surprise yourself as to how easy the are to cook.

So until next time Au Revoir.

No comments:

Post a Comment