A tiny slice of my life

This is a look at my life, and the many things I try to learn and do.

Friday, September 16, 2011

Inspiration in the Kitchen

I must admit there are days that I don't have much enthusiasm to cook, this is usually when I don't want to cook the same old meals. I need some inspiration.

How do you get inspired when you have days like this, what I usually do is think of what meat or vegetable I want to cook for a meal, then get the cookbooks out, especially the ones that you haven't cooked from very often, if that fails hit the Internet.

For instance tonight I have a chicken to cook I don't want to do the same old roast, so I browsed my recipe books and saw a picture of a spatchcocked chicken, this gave me an idea of making a spice rub using limes from tree, there juice and rind. I will also add garlic ground cumin and coriander, perhaps a little bit of smoked paprika, and for a little bit of heat some Tabasco sauce.

I will let the chicken hang about in its marinade in the fridge this afternoon. Before cooking on high to crisp the skin then I will turn the temperature down to cook the chicken through.

What to serve with it, I have lots of little potatoes Miss fish found in our vegie bed the other week, I also have some feta and olives. I think I will make a warm salad with a balsamic dressing.

The dressing is easy 1/3 balsamic, 2/3's a good olive oil + 2 tsps dijon mustard, you just need to whisk or shake it together.

When the potatoes are hot I will drizzle them with some of the dressing. Then when the have cooled to room temp I will add the other ingredients, toss with more dressing and serve.

Right there you go just writing about inspiration has given me ideas for tonight's tea.

So I hope I have inspired you to think of other ways to cook the same ingredients.

Happy cooking

No comments:

Post a Comment