A tiny slice of my life

This is a look at my life, and the many things I try to learn and do.

Monday, May 21, 2012

Sun Dried Tomato & Feta Stuffed Chicken Breast with a Caper & Lemon Sauce

Well what a busy weekend, I hope everyone enjoyed their weekend.

Here it was nice enough for us to have BBQ lunches on both days and sit outside under our pergola.

Miss Fish loves it when we can do that as we have a sink and fridge and all the necessary cutlery/crockery outside. She enjoys setting the table and doing the dishes afterwards.

As well as sitting outside Mr CLI & I managed to get a lot of little and some big jobs done outside that had been sidelined in previous weeks.

So even though we were both tired at the end of each day we were very satisfied with our achievements.


Now during all this busyness I managed to invent and cook this meal. Mr CLI after only one mouthful commented that it was beautiful and he would happily eat it again. I must admit I was pretty impressed with the flavour of the chicken.

It was quite a simple filling with only 3 ingredients, but as the were quite flavourful this chicken was not only tender but full of flavour.

Now you don't really need the sauce but as it takes only about 1 minute to make and adds extra flavour it isn't a big hardship.

Also the ingredients for the filling and sauce can be kept in your pantry and fridge so that at anytime you can make this meal.

I served mine with mashed potato which I think goes the best as you can mop up the sauce with it I also did my sauteed brussel sprouts and steamed carrots, also for Mr CLI & Miss Fish I made mashed pumpkin.

Sun Dried Tomato and Feta Stuffed Chicken Breast with a Lemon & Caper Sauce
1 small chicken breast per person or 2 large was enough for 3 people, the quantities for filling is for 3 serves - sun dried tomato pesto, 2 tbsps semi sun dried tomato, chopped into 1 cm pieces, 2 tbsps crumbled feta (I used a marinated one in a jar)

1/4 plain flour for dusting the chicken

Sauce - 2 tbsps lemon juice ( I used my bottle lemon juice) 1 dessertspoon of capers rinsed and chopped finely, 1 tbsps chopped fresh herb (I used oregano, you could use parsley or basil) 1 tbsp butter

In a small bowl mix together the sun dried tomatoes and feta.

On a chopping board slice the chicken breast down the length and half way in DON'T cut all the way. We want to open it out flat to be able to spread the stuffing. Using a meat mallet flatten till even thickness and 1/2 cm thick. If using a large breast you should be able to cut of the tenderloin with a bit of the breast to make 1 large and 1 small parcel.



















Using about 1 tsp of pesto spread it over the surface of the chicken the add a third of the filling down the length of 1 half. Fold the other half over to form a parcel. Repeat with the other chicken fillets.




















Heat 4 tbsps olive oil & 1 tbsp of butter in a frypan. Dust both sides of the chicken parcels with plain flour. When the butter starts to sizzle place the chicken in reduce heat to medium. Cook the first side till brown and crispy approx 4 minutes. Turn and continue to cook till brown and crispy and the chicken is cooked approx 3 - 4 minutes.

When the chicken is nearly cooked dish up you accompanying vegetables. Place the cooked chicken on the plate. Add the sauce ingredients to the frypan. Stir until bubbling 30 secs - 1 minute. Remove from the heat immediately and pour over the chicken.

I hope you try this recipe it is not only yummy but very easy to make.

1 comment: