A tiny slice of my life

This is a look at my life, and the many things I try to learn and do.

Monday, April 18, 2011

Apple Crumble

Now when Miss Fish wants to help me cook, I need easy recipes that she can stir or mix, or even turn on the mixer. Her cutting skills are limited but she can peel and cut the apples into cubes. I 1/4 the apple and remove the core.

Now I love apple pie, I also don't mind making it, but for a quick and warming apple dessert, this apple crumble appears regularly on our menu.

It is a very expandable dessert you can use as little a 3 large apples or as many a a dozen. It all depends on how large you want to make the crumble. I use a mixture of apples, if you only use granny smiths I would add extra sugar. If you are using all sweet apples, you can also add the grated rind of a lemon and 2 teaspoons of the juice, this gives it a slight tartness.

The topping can be altered too, I have in the past added shredded coconut or slivered almonds. You can alter the spices too, I always add cinnamon, but I also have added aniseed, star anise,
cardamom - my favourite. It is up to your personal taste and what you have in your cupboard.

Apple Crumble
Base
6 large apples, peeled 1/4 , cored and cut into 2-3 cm cubes, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon of another spice - I used star anise for this one, 1 cup water

Mix apples with sugar and spices in a microwave proof bowl or jug. pour over water loosely cover with a lid or cling wrap. Cook in the microwave for 5 minutes stir, cook for a further 3 - 5 minutes or until apples are cooked through but not mush. Place it in your dish that you are going to cook it in, judge how much of the syrup you put with the apples. I usually put enough to cover the base. You need just enough so the it bubbles up around the edges when cooked.









Topping
1 cup rolled oats, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup plain flour, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 -
1/2 teaspoon of another spice, 2 tablespoons butter - softened









Mix together all ingredients except the butter. Add the butter and rub or I use a fork mix it in till some of the mixture forms clumps. Sprinkle over the apple mixture. Cook 180.c for 15 - 20 minutes, or until the is golden and the juices are bubbling. Serve with cream and/or ice cream.









You can make both the apple and the topping earlier in the day, and leave until you are ready to cook it. Don't place the topping on top of the apples until you are ready to cook as the apples will make the topping soggy.

So easy to make and even easier to eat. Also it heats up nicely in the microwave the next day.

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of using star anise actually! It would give it quite a different flavour or aroma :D

    ReplyDelete