A tiny slice of my life

This is a look at my life, and the many things I try to learn and do.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Beef Madras Curry

Sorry about no blog yesterday, but I spent the day full of pain killers trying to get some relief from my shoulder injury.

I did however manage to do quite a bit of cooking over the weekend, and you will see over the next few days all the recipes had a distinct Asian feel.

Now this recipe was quite easy because I used a bought curry paste, what wasn't easy was the fact that when I went to check to see if the potatoes had cooked they not only had cooked, but they had boiled dry and burned to the bottom of the pan.

Why does things like that go wrong when you really can't be bothered cooking. So I had to start again with a new frypan  and more potatoes.

I served this with plain steamed rice.

Madras Beef Curry
750 gm piece rump steak, all fat and sinew removed then cut into thin strips, 4 large potatoes peeled and cut into 2 cm cubes, 1 dstsp madras curry paste, 1 cup chicken stock, 1 onion cut into wedges, 1 tbsp soy sauce.

To Serve - Steamed rice.

In a large frypan heat 2 tbsps olive oil, add potato and onion, saute 1 -2 minutes. Add water curry paste and stock, reduce heat and cover. Simmer till potatoes are tender. Add soy sauce and beef stir till beef has cooked through, 2 -3 minutes.

If sauce too thick add more stock/water or if not thick enough let simmer for  2 - 3 minutes til it has thickened. Serve on a bed of steamed rice.

1 comment: